What do you do about sourcing info-- let's say you have a source for the location but not for the date. How do you indicate it's YOUR guesstimate and that the source is silent on the matter (since Legacy groups date & location together as far as sources go for births, deaths, etc)?

From: "Mitch Mackrory" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

For example, once I have a child (any child) in a family, I assume it
is the eldest child and that the parents were likely married a year
prior to this.  Let's say the child was born in 1856.  I set the date
for the marriage as BEF 1855.  I now have some information to do
further work on.  I would record this with a Surety Level of 1
(marginal evidence).  Let's assume that this helps me find the family
and I now figure out that there were two older children born in 1852
and 1855.  I would now change the marriage date to BEF 1851 and I may
change my Surety Level to 2 (probable conclusion) if I am happy this
is the whole family.  If this helps me narrow down when to look for
the marriage record, this is useful.  Let's say I now find the index
record of the marriage record.  I'll use UK terminology since that is
what I work on.  I find an index record dated in the second quarter of
1850 and it looks good.  I'll record this index info in the marriage
and likely change my marriage date to Jun Q 1850; possibly even
updating my Surety Level to 3 (Almost Certain Conclusion).  When I get
a copy of the certificate, let's say there are witnesses that confirm
this is the right marriage.  At that stage my marriage date changes to
14 Apr 1850 and my Surety Level might even go to 4 (Convincing
Evidence).

If I came across other evidence I may change my date to AFT or ABT,
but I always try to estimate a reasonable date as soon as I can and
then classify that assessment using the Surety Level system in Legacy.

Note that if my marriage date is BEF 1851 as an example, I will likely
start searching the marriage records from 1853 and work backwards for
20 plus years.

Also, once I have the marriage date fixed I move on to census records
(for example) to confirm that the decisions I have made are correct.

I hope that helps, Mitch Mackrory
Colorado, USA