I don't understand the "recorded date" on the "Source info" window.

I am working with the 1880 census for VA, B County, which I have used on at least 1 previous occasion. Now I am using info from the same census on a different person. So under "recorded date" I had entered the date I first used the source. Now I am recording different info and so I want to change the "recorded date."

But when I change the date, I am asked if I want to change the "recorded date" for all references to the master source, or do I want a new copy of the master source.

Well, the answer is neither--I just want to change the "recorded date" for the info I'm recording now, today. I do NOT want it to change the "recorded date" for all references to the master source, NOR do I want a new copy of the master source in my list of sources.

Obviously, I don't understand the term. So, I click on "help," enter "recorded date" in the word(s) to search for the meaning of the term and am given a list of NINETY-THREE TOPICS!!

Can somebody tell me what this "recorded date" is supposed to be FOR?? (Of course, when I get to the Detail window there's another place where it says "recorded date" and has a "Today's Date" button to click on. This is NOT the window I'm talking about now, but since the same term of "recorded date" appears in both windows, I would conclude they're both referring to the same information. It doesn't quite make sense to me.)

And I doubt that I'm quite making sense too!  But thanks for any help!

Pat