I usually put information in privacy brackets so the name of a woman with an unknown maiden name would look like this...Jane[[wife of John Brown]]. This helps me by reminding me that I still need to find her maiden name and indicate the relationship to known people while at the same time allowing just a blank to be printed. It also keeps me from accidentally merging people and from people asking me silly questions like...why I don't have parents for that MNU family in my family tree...
Kathy