No Ron, I am not suggesting that.  The information would be filled in
by the user.   Basically, I get tired of always having to think when I
enter a place on what it was called at the time.....   I use the smae
locations a lot, but I always have to sit and think - especially if
I've been working in another area for a while.   (example of my
thoughts....  ok - this is in Medicine Hat, Alberta - but wait, it
wasn't Alberta until 1905, before that it was NWT....  oh - this birth
was IN 1905 - was that before or after it became a province - I better
go check online (or in my chronology screen, if I have it in a
timeline)).   Sure - I would need to do the research the first time -
but if I put it all in for the locations I use, then I wouldn't have
to check, and check, and check...    For Ontario, I am doing a lot of
stuff in around the years that it kept changing, and I can NEVER
remember (was it Upper Canada first, or Canada West first) - I just
get sick of always having to look it up.

So - just the short answer - I'd expect the users to be putting in the
information as it comes up - but the program can check, if you have
indicated that a physical location had more than one name at various
dates....