Ok ...have done my playing around with assorted pdf writers and have come to the conclusion that what is needed, after legacy creates the file... are two pieces of software...one is a pdf writer and the other is a conversion tool that removes the nasty little protection on the file that makes pdf such a pain to work...looks great as long as you don't want to change it. Have found one that is free that acts like a printer driver but not sure if its all that useful. Still looking. Have also found a conversion tool that might be wel worth the cost.And there is software out there at a reasonable cost that will convert .pdf files to rtf ones which I think is what Ruth desperately needs.Am still looking for freebies.
For more details contact me offlist.
Kathy
At 07:35 PM 9/10/2008, you wrote:
Ruth:
If producing that book is necessary before Millennia resolves its issues with the .rtf format, I would suggest you produce the book as a.pdf document and then download a free pdf writing program that you can use to do the editing and sprucing up......very similar to what you would do with your wordprocessor. Contact me off list and I will give you a few leads for free pdf writing software that may be just what you need.
KAthyAt 02:16 PM 9/10/2008, you wrote:
Jessica, You've got it correctly. And there is more than one bug when the descendent book report transfers from Legacy to a Word .rtf file. And when I use the Publishing Center, there are even more problems. At the moment I have 17 separate chapters which I hope to compile into one book and I'm going through them all line by line eliminating the errors, adding code so Alternate Names print in the Name Index, and so forth. The .rtf export route is a bust, as you say.

Ruth
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jessica Morgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Descendant Report - INDEX problem with Alternate names....

It appears to me that the problem is pointedly with the output method
you are using. I've read all your posts, and while I haven't
replicated it or tried it (lack of time) the one key factor I see
throughout all your posts is that it is an issue in the RTF file.

As there are other issues with the RTF file exporting, I would lean
towards the RTF export routine built into Legacy 7.0 as being a bust,
and therefore a bug.

****To be clear:

Descendant Report EXPORT to RTF is NOT showing alternate names

Fix tried has included deleting the Descendant.usr file to no avail.

Your alternate names ARE showing up in the program interface itself,
as well as the PREVIEW of the DESCENDANT report on screen.

However, when you activate transferring to RTF, they do NOT show up.

Am I correct?

(The all caps are for emphasis purposes for clarity only.)

Jess M