I tried to reproduce this with the Sample File.
1. Name List Options checked Include Alternate names
2. Added an AKA to Elizabeth Reynolds RIN 33
3. Tools > Renumber RIN: renumberd RIN 33 to RIN 1
4. Didn't see any problem the AKA's were changed to the correct RIN's
I need more information to reproduce this or step by step instructions
to reproduce this in the sample file.
Evert