Jerri,

The source clipboard is a tool that will let you add that same detail to all the family members listed on that census. If you set up the clipboard first with the census details and text you can then use the paste from clipboard icon to add that source for other members of the family with a single click.

Re: Using Family Names etc in the text of the source. If you enter it there the data will only appear in the source citations of any reports you create. The alternative is to create an event for each person. Legacy has the built-in Census event. If you enter the details of the family in the Event Notes they will appear in the body of your reports when you include events.

NOTE: Legacy also has an Event Clipboard so you can create the event for the first family member then copy it to the Event Clipboard when you add that event to the other members of the family you can use the Event Clipboard to paste in the event details with one click. In fact if you set up the event with the source attached before you copy it to the Event clipboard both the event and the source citation will be pasted to each family member.

It is up to you which method you use for entering family details, personally I like the fact that Events are in the body of the report and the family details are included with the Event so that is what I use for my census entries.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
br...@legacyfamilytree.com
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

We are changing the world of genealogy!
When replying to this message, please include all previous correspondence.
Thanks.

Jerri Grimley wrote:
Hi: I've just started using Legacy and have a question on the Master
Source List.

For Census Records, I have set up a Master Source as 1901 Census -
Ontario

For the Source Detail, I have entered the specific details for the
census, the county, city ,page # , household etc..  Do I need to
enter the names of the family members in Text/Comments.?

I am entering the family names, ages, etc. on the clipboard, copying,
pasting and highlighting as needed.

If you add  the family names to the source detail and the clipboard
you are entering the same info twice.  I'm not sure if this is
necessary or does the info show somewhere that I'm not aware of?

I do want to do it right the first time, so I thought I would ask the
experts.

Thanks

Jerri