When you merge two records in Legacy the sources from both records are included with the resulting person. From what you say you may need to review all the sources attached to your records after you have imported and merged to eliminate the sources you entered and leave only the Ancestry sources you prefer to keep.

Yes, you MUST have the record you want to keep on the left when doing a merge. The person on the right will disappear from your file.

When importing the records from the Ancestry file I suggest you have the RINs and MRINs from the Ancestry file start at some large number that will make it clear to you which file they came from. For example if you have 1000 people and 350 marriages in your file have the RINS start at 5000 in the Ancestry file and the MRINs start at 1000. Since the RIN for the two people is shown on the merge screen you can make sure that your original person is the one on the left using the swap left and right button.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
br...@legacyfamilytree.com
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

We are changing the world of genealogy!
When replying to this message, please include all previous correspondence.
Thanks.

lucee-...@prodigy.net wrote:
Sorry about that blank message.
I read the article on merging two files and have a question.  What I have done
is to look up things (census, etc) on Ancestry and bring them into the family
file that I have posted on the Ancestry site.
At the same time, I tried to enter them into my Legacy file here on my laptop. Now what I find is that Ancestry has done a much better job of filling out the source information than I have done and would like to take advantage of that by downloading my family file and merging it with my Legacy file. My aim would be to get the source information to move over. My Legacy file is the one where I have written all my family and research notes so I don't want to lose them by going the other way. Question: Those with more experience at this, would it be better for me to do it in the reverse and just do a side by side to move all my notes to the Ancestry file after I import it back into a new Legacy file ? Question: If I merge ancestry into my legacy file......If I have a birthdate in my legacy file that is the same as the birthdate on the ancestry file, but the ancestry file has more sources for it, how do I get the ancestry info to come over. Do I just pretend they are "different" and I want the ancestry date to replace what I have, thus bringing over all the sources. What would happen to any source that I had for my legacy date, would it disappear ? Question: Do I always want my "to keep" file on the left of the screen, or is that where it automatically goes ? Hope I have not muddled this up so no one can understand me. Thanks for any help. Lucy