Tracy Skegg wrote
I've been lurking for ages, going on holidays visiting living and deceased relatives, started getting called a tomb raider by my family. Anyways - I found an image in our national archives of a man that has the same name as my ancestor, in an area the same as my ancestor. His image is startingly like that of my cousin and my brother. I haven't made the paper connections yet, but this man is almost certainly my ancestor.

How do I enter this archive image and document into my file? What kind of notes can I write to show that I think he's related but haven't proven it yet?

I would create an unlinked individual in my existing file and attach the image to him.

As for the notes, what you have written above from "I found ..." to "... my ancestor" seems perfectly adequate to me. I would write that in the Research Notes field.

--
Jenny M Benson