Ellen:
The best and easiest way is to export your entire database to a gedcom and then import it into a new file making sure that,when importing, you have ticked the box entitled"renumber RINs." You can select your starting point so rather than starting at number 1, all records from this import could start at 3000. I believe several LUGGers have some creative methods for numbering the RINs in their file. I would caution you though that should you be composing webpages, the RINs become the individual pages so such a renumbering would be a really wholesale change and likely not one that people would take just for an afternoons entertainment. That said, individual RINs CAN be renumbered to suit your fancy, if at a later date you need to make changes...