For those of you who have problems with master sources and detail sources this is the way I think of them.

When you were in school, you had to write papers that referenced research material. You made bibliography entries with details of the book where you found the material. Then for each specific detail you added the chapter and/or page number. The chapter and page could be different for each entry. When the bibliography was printed at the end of the book, each distinct entry would be printed but where two entries following each other were the same something like Ibid. would be printed.

To me this is the same thinking as a master source and detail source. Sometimes two or more people will have the exact same master source and detail source, but other times it will be the same master source but the details will be different.

Hopefully this will be helpful for some people.

Ila East