Jenny,

There is a setting that will have Legacy always start up using the same file.
Go to Options > Customize > General
In the starting family file select option 3, use the down arrow beside the box to find and select the file you want Legacy to start with.

Then when you start a new session of Legacy it will automatically open that file.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
br...@legacyfamilytree.com
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

We are changing the world of genealogy!
When replying to this message, please include all previous correspondence.
Thanks.

Jenny M Benson wrote:
Or to put it another way, learn by my mistake!

I have been busy converting all my Basic System sources to SourceWriter (big job!) and am currently working on the 1871 Censuses, at the same time taking the opportunity to change the way I record the Census information.

Having recently made contact with someone who I believe is a 4th Cousin, I wanted to send her a Report showing some of her probable relatives. I say "probably" because we have not yet proved the link but I am fairly certain and had some members of her branch of the family as an unlinked family in my Legacy file.

I decided the easiest way to send the Report I wanted was to use a no-longer-required copy of my current Family File to link the two families and create the Report, rather than mess around with my current file. That was fine ... until I came back to Legacy later in the day and happily carried on doing all my updating IN THE WRONG FILE!

Now I have the unhappy task of trying to find all those updated records and either re-doing all my work or merging the two sets of records.

So my advice is any time you are working in anything other than your main current file, try and remember to close it down *immediately* you have finished so that you need to load the correct file when you are ready to start work again.