Ok, this doesn't explain what happened, but it might fix it. Go to:

1. The preferred person first.
2. Tools >> Set Relationships, and CLEAR all the relationships.
3. Tools >> Set Relationships, and SET the relationships.
4. Tools >> Set Direct Line as Preferred, and set the line.

This should fix it. If not, let us know.

Robert