I'm a little stumped at the best way to use Legacy to cite city
directories.  I've looked through the archives and gleaned some
information, but still need some advice.  Like a lot of you, I rely
heavily on Elizabeth Shown Mill's book to guide how my citations
should look.  Occassaionaly, I also use sites like the ProGenealogist
for help.  I think it important that sources be cited accurately and
completely; not just so one can go back and find the document again,
but to ensure consistency of formatting, proper attribution, and
professional standards.

The challenge I seem to run into is that while the SourceWriter is an
excellent tool, it still seems a little deficient when using sources
that are digitized and made available online.

The challenge I'm currently having is with city directories, which, as
people are likely familar, are published across multiple years,
sometimes with different titles and publishers.  I'm currently working
with the Rochester, NY city directories.  Here is my dilemmas and
question:

I'm using multiple years/volumes (75 years so far) to track and record
people's residences and occupations.  I'd like to avoid having 75
master sources (one for each year).  Instead, having a generic
citation for the years in which the same publisher published the
directory is my intent.  For Rochester, the directory was published by
C. C. Drew in 1869-71, who became Drew, Allis & Co. from 1872-43, and
then The Drew Allis Company from 1844-1918.  During these years, the
directory's title remained the same.  I can accomplish that by simply
putting all of the years in the publish date, or by using a grouping
such as 1869-1918.  However, when I get to the detail source I seem to
be stuck.  I can figure out no way to show that person B appears in
the 1871 directory (volume 22) on page 150, in the 1872 directory
(volume 23) on page 156, in the 1873 directory (volume 24) on page
206, etc. in a single citation.  I *could* have multiple detail
citations pointing to the one master, but is this any better than
having multiple masters?  Thoughts?  How have you handled this?

What I want to avoid is having one master source, entering tons of
information, and then realizing that to be accurate or proper each
should have their own reference.  I am not aware of an easy way to
split master sources other than finding the detailed information and
changing it one by one by one--a process I do not wish to do.

Secondly, is there any way to edit the automatic formatting in the
master source?  For example, if I wanted to add bracketed information
such as [various subtitles] after the title, but do not want it
italicized, can I do that somehow?

Lastly, unrleated to the above--is there any way to copy a master
source such that specific details could be edited rather than retyped?
 I currently have 82 master sources for federal censuses (one for each
county each year), which is necessary to have the proper citation.
After typing "HertiageQuest Online" in for the 40th time, I was sure
wishing I could simply copy the master source ...  yes, copy and paste
will work, but only for a single line.  I used it to avoid typing
"http://www.hertiagequestonline.com"; 82 times.

Thanks,
Scott