Ron,

I don't know about the U.K., but in the U.S., facts are not covered by
copyright.  So, while I would never take someone's written narrative without
their permission, I have no qualms about documenting facts (names, dates,
places) from online family trees in my database since it is only a
"placeholder" for my finding the actual documents to substantiate those
supposed facts.  While I try to contact the submitter as you and Brian have
suggested, they do not always respond, or the e-mail address is a dead address.
 That was the case with the example I posted (I did an extensive internet
search for her and tried several methods and e-mail addresses in an attempt to
contact her); I should have been clear about that.

When I do contact the submitter and they respond, I then cite the e-mail or
actual documents that person shares, not necessarily the online family tree
itself.  I also include the relationship of the person, as Jenny has suggested,
when they tell me or I can otherwise figure it out.

Connie