I'm coming late to this conversation, but one question Rose asked was "Or do
you find the FileID useful at all?"

Count me among those who think FileIDs are worthless and happily leaves them
all blank.  Of course, I have an alphabetical by surname filing system for my
paper files, subdivided if necessary by location and document type, so I can
always find what I'm looking for without consulting Legacy or any other file

For those who prefer a numerical filing system, I would think one would always
have to use the FileID.

Connie