"Cite Your Sources:  A Manual for Documenting and Family Histories and
Genealogical Records " by Richard Lackey was published in 1986, so this is not
Legacy terminology, nor particularly recent terminology.

It is also not terminology specific to genealogy.  Psychologists, historians,
librarians, etc. all have formats and guidelines for citing sources.

The Oxford Dictionary indicates that the verb "cite" means "quote (a passage,
book, or author) as evidence for or justification of an argument or statement,
especially in a scholarly work" and indicates it derives from Middle English,
so, while I'm not informed as to the terminology used in all parts of the
English-speaking world, I'm not convinced this is a strictly American invention?

It is difficult to step outside one's own cultural and national perspective,
but it seems to me that Geoff and his staff try hard to meet the needs of users
from many countries.

Connie