From: Jerry [mailto:jerrysemailgro...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 1:59 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Unknown Grandchildren/G-Grandchildren

On 02/28/2011 11:53 AM, Dennis M. Kowallek wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:40:31 -0500, "Sheri Harris"
> <sharr...@comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>> So far I've just put this information in my notes section referencing my
>> source and adding that to my to-do list but this is not working for me.
>
> I essentially do what you are doing. But I don't think you explained why
> it isn't working.

I've seen the references to unknown names and lots of question marks
that genealogists have used for years, but I don't know if there is a
standard for unknown names.   If there is, I'd like to know what is the
standard and why.   But I dislike the idea intensely of putting Lastname
?, Unknown Name ? or the many other ways that you see out there, so we
developed our own method, which I think has some merit because it can
give a hint to find that unknown name because of his/her relationship to
another person.

For example, on our website, you will see things like:

BEEMER, Edna ? (Wife of William) - that means we don't have Edna's last
name, but we know she was married to William BEEMER.

BEADLE, Given Name ? (Husband of Sarah Ann MADILL) - that means we don't
have Mr. Beadle's first name, but we know he was married to Sarah Ann
Madill).

DOE, Given Name ? (Son #1 of Paul) - that means we don't have a first
name for a son of Paul DOE.

It might be irregular, but it is a means of putting information about
that person directly in the name field, and therefore, it appears in the
master name index as a ready-reference for everyone using the site.

I just thought I'd share that and see what some of your ideas are.

Regards,
Jerry / http://www.MerriamFamilyTree.org