On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 19:18:23 +1100, "Erica Portelli"
<tan...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Dennis, I went to the Legacy customise backup screen: Select name and location
>for data backup:  and directed the backup to the Dropbox folder, so the zip
>backup went there each time I closed Legacy.
>Do you mean you would have physically copied the .fdb and not made this
>automatic selection to Dropbox?  Where would you have saved your .fdb before
>copying to dropbox?
>
>I've now gone back to doing two backups - first to a removeable USB stick and
>second to the c:\Legacy\Data, changing the location each time to suit.

Let's leave DropBox out of the equation for now. I don't think it is the
problem and including it is just confusing the issue.

>I've gone to options : locations and made the Default location of family files
>: C:\Legacy\Data
>Default location for pictures, sound, docs etc are C:\Legacy\Pictures\  or
>sound etc.
>Location of temporary files is set at C:\Legacy\Temp

This is fine.

>I then did a complete drive clean up and as I suspected would happen, the .fdb
>in the Windows\Temporary Internet Files etc. has been deleted  and Legacy has
>asked which family file to open. I've opened the .fdb in the latest back up
>zip (which by the way, adds a [1] to the name each time I open from here, so
>at the moment my family file name ends in [1][1][1].fdb  )
>
>After doing all this, in the Family File Information (gen. info) screen under
>File Information, my Family File Path is still showing as  C:\Users\Tom &
>Erica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet
>Files\Content.IE5\9NMBQ1FW\ALL-family-current-OCT[1][1][1].fdb

I don't know how your .fdb ended up here. Close Legacy and use Windows
to copy ALL-family-current-OCT[1][1][1].fdb from C:\Users\Tom &
Erica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\9NMBQ1FW to C:\Legacy\Data and rename the file to
whatever the real name should be (ALL-family.fdb or whatever). Now open
Legacy and click File > Open Family File and navigate to C:\Legacy\Data
and open ALL-family.fdb. Once you do this, go to Options > Customize...
> General (tab) and set Starting Family File to Always open this file
and select C:\Legacy\Data\ALL-family.fdb in the File Selection dialog.
Now save your option changes.

>I don't doubt you when you say I'm probably causing the problem, but am now at
>a loss - I don't think I've ever studied the general information screen so
>have not noticed the path to the temporary internet file before and can't see
>anywhere to change this - as far as that goes, why is it saving in a
>temp.internet file anyway, couldn't I theoretically be using Legacy offline?
>So where would the file go then?

I can't begin to guess how it ended up there.

>If I have set my locations for the temp. files to C:\Legacy\Temp, shouldn't
>this working file be saving there? I don't understand why is it still saving
>to the C:\Users etc etc.

Your Legacy temp file setting has nothing to do with where your .fdb is
located. Don't worry about it, it is not the problem. When you open a
.fdb Legacy will save any changes you make to your family data
IMMEDIATELY and DIRECTLY to that .fdb.

>Apart from the incident with the disappearing notes, I would just like to know
>that I've set up all the options and locations correctly, so any advice would
>be appreciated.

I don't know what you mean when you said earlier "I've opened the .fdb
in the latest back up zip". You should never OPEN a Legacy backup. You
should use Legacy's File > Restore Family File on a backup to recover an
.fdb.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools/Custom Programming)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools/index.htm

NOTE TO LUG USERS: Use plain text if you want me to read your post.