And at this point you can leave the sex as a question mark - then as
you learn more (are there school records, marriage records, military
records, etc.) you could back into the sex of the individual. Came
late to the discussion so I don't know your time frame, but depending
on the place and the records, you might be able to work your way
through this. Were there later censuses. Apologies if this has already
been addressed by others.
Tessa Keough
Guild of One-Name Studies, No. 5089
Legacy Virtual Users' Group
One Place Studies - Plate Cove, Newfoundland
Surnames - Keough, Murphy, Aylward, Kocevar, Lidman, Zagradisnik