A little OT, but can anyone here point me to a message board or other place
to ask questions about how to record colonial U.S. place names?

Prior to the common date of 4 Jul 1776, I use "colony name, British
America" as in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, British America.

But two states in particular pose challenges -- Maine and Vermont.  As you
likely know, neither existed in 1776 -- the Province of Maine was part of
Massachusetts and what is now Vermont was part of New Hampshire and New York

So, for example, I'm a little stuck on how to record the birthplace of an
ancestor born in Vermont in 1782.  In 1776, Vermont separated from Britian
as part of New York and New Hampshire, and in 1777, declared independence
from those colonies.  While an American territory, it was an independent
republic until 1791 when it joined the U.S. as a state.

So -- how to record?

Perhaps because it was an American territory, Vermont, USA still applies?
Or should it just be Vermont (or Vermont Republic) without the USA?

etc.