On 5/25/2013 11:46 AM, KathyB wrote:
> I have a new computer, with Windows 8, downloaded and installed the
> latest build and moved my family file over and have been working with it
> without difficulty. I just tried making a back-up and received the
> following error message pop-up:
>
> Backup Error:530. The license key required to use the control was not
> found or invalid.
>
> What is my next step?

At the bottom of every email to this list is a group of links.  On is labeled;
If you click on this you will be taken to a page that has a link:
  Solutions by Error Description
(http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/Help.asp#SolutionsOther)
There you will find a solution called:
Backup Error 503 and 507

Clicking that takes your to:
  • Backup Error: 503
The Error 503 is generally the result of a problem with access to the backup
device.

You can test your CD-RW drive very easily. First, save your Legacy backup files
to your desktop screen and then close Legacy. Next RIGHT click on the backup
files and select Send To > CD-RW Drive (or DVD-RW Drive) from the popup menu.
If you still get 503, then the problem isn't with the Legacy program at all.
The possible causes of this error would be one of the following:

     The CD-RW disk is marked Read-Only, or the security switch on the memory
stick is set to lock. Try another disk or unlock the memory stick.
     The ZIP file being saved exceeds the maximum size of the removable storage
device.
     The CD is not formatted for direct save of data. Reformat the CD or try a
different disk.
     The CD is formatted but the access software (e.g. DirectCD or InCD) is not
ready. Insert (or re-insert) the CD or memory stick in the computer and then
open Legacy and try backing up again.
     The CD-RW disk or memory stick has developed a bad area. This can, in some
instances, be fixed by reformatting.
     Out of date driver software for the CD writer hardware. Update the CD
Writer driver.

If backing up to the desktop and then right-clicking works, this means you have
the kind of CD drive that won't allow to backup right from the Legacy program.
Please keep in mind, not all computers are equal or some may have older CD
burners and associated software. If you have questions consult the CD drive
manufacturer's instructions.

All of which takes approximately 30 Seconds.  Much faster, I am sure you will
agree, than waiting for an answer by e-mail. <g>
--

Gene Young
Researching Young, Harer, Cox & Sallada