  From: Paulette Martinez
  To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:01 PM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Photos, book and Legacy

  I want to thank everyone who replied to my question.  I like the idea of
using oral history to document my pictures and I am looking into it.  I am so
glad I asked!  Thank you all.
  Paulette

  On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM, gregory.wint...@pc-bs.com
<gregory.wint...@pc-bs.com> wrote:

    Paulette:

    You’ve touched upon another aspect of genealogy software that I was going
to bring up in a separate thread, but you’ve beaten me to the punch!  J  As far
as I know, there isn’t a single genealogy product on the market that will
manage an artifacts database alongside the data contained in records of
individuals.  Those products which do include some sort of direct connection
are extremely lightweight when it comes to the specifics of documentation
management.  I don’t fault the makers of these products – it really would be
quite an undertaking to include such functionality in a genealogy product.
However, having to maintain your own separate repository of documentation then
link it to your database can be tricky if you haven’t thought it all the way
through.

    For my part, I use ACDSee Pro as my repository, because anything and
everything that I’ve ever used to support the entries in my family tree
database (it’s been FTM so far, but I’m considering Legacy now) has been
digitally scanned, including ‘3D’ physical objects, such as my father’s army
dogtags and war ribbons, my grandmother’s reading glasses, etc.  ACDSee is a
first-rate product for photo management, so the ability to enter metadata into
the header of the digital file and have the interface assist with an organized
display is wonderful.  Gone is the need to rely upon clumsy operating systems
subject to the whims of Cupertino and Redmond:  photo metadata has been
standardized for a long time and there are countless imaging management
applications which adhere to the system.

    This means that I no longer have to deal with that awful directory/file
system that has never been revised since the days of DOS.  Instead, all I have
to do is create volumes (labeled simply 001, 002, 003, etc.) and can use
generic filenames (10001.tif, etc.).  All of the information about the file –
including extensive captions – in included in the header (meaning it goes
wherever the file goes) and is displayed in ACDSee.  In short, I have built a
complete digital library that currently contains nearly 10K digital files.  In
my genealogy software, I simply refer to the members of the archive by the
labels I’ve used for the files:  there is no need to know anything else.  Then,
where the physical items are stored, I have a simple labeling system that
corresponds to that of ACDSee.  Thus, I can place a dogtag next to a photo next
to a high school diploma next to a marriage license – it doesn’t matter.  I
retrieve by search engine and filename, not by ‘type.’

    Once you really get down to it, if you attempt to organize the images by
concept, you’re going to run into a lot of trouble.  So many artifacts have
multiple uses that it’s basically impossible to come up with a system that you
can be consistent in without a lot of interaction and micro-management.  For
example, you would normally believe that an obituary is simply a death notice,
so you might create some sort of ‘Obituaries’ folder.  Fine.  However, the type
of physical artifact that an item is pales in comparison to the way that it is
utilized in your database.  As you know, obits can contain a great deal of
information – beyond the death of the subject.  I have used obits as sources
for births, marriages, locations, and a host of other data elements. Yet, if I
were to file the item away as an obit, I would have to make sure that the item
type (at least) were a part of my citation information stream.  By being able
to cite the item directly, however, the type of citation becomes simply a way
of understanding how the information was originally derived:  no document has
an intrinsic confidence level.

    I’ve heard it said that the reason that the software developers don’t go
full out and create functionality in their products that manages digital files
is because there still seems to be a lot of controversy in regard to the
‘authenticity’ of a digital source.  Many genealogists still believe that a
digital image does not comprise a ‘true’ source, so there is no reason to
expand the role of the genealogy software into management of these items.  I
can respect this viewpoint, but that hasn’t stopped me from creating my own
database.  In the old days, there was a lot of verbiage associated with records
because without it, locating, retrieving, and placing the artifact in question
would be very difficult.  With the miracle of modern technology, however, a
good database product with a solid search engine is all you need.  Your
repository software becomes a sort of ‘secretary’ who knows where each and
every file is and what it contains down to the last jot and tittle.

    Hope this provides a different perspective for you.

    Greg