On 23 Jun 2014 14:14, marion wimsett wrote:

> I have a family with 11 children, which I have traced through the Censuses
> to 1911. I had three of them as being dead before the 1911 Census so I double
>  checked the entry on the 1911 Census.

> For some unknown reason the householder (the father) had listed all 11
> children on the census but under the numbers of children he had stated -
> total of 11, 6 living, 5 dead!

This happened quite often. A question of the householders not totally
understanding the instructions. A useful byproduct in some cases. This oversight
gave me the knowledge about a 'missing' child of one of my ancestors: born and
died between 1901 and 1911. So don't denigrate it :-)

> Now this is the quandary, I have them all entered in the 1911 census as it
> is shown but I also have the five death dates for the five children who died
> before 1911. Naturally the v8 programme shows these five as having a
> Potential Problem. I can understand why but can't work out which "problem"
> to tick to clear the red icon!

If you were to run the 1911 Census Report, you would have had these 5 children
excluded from the report because they should not have been found on the census.
For that reason, I would personally remove the 1911 census references from the
dead children, but maybe retain the information in any transcript. On the other
hand, the Potential Problem that is related to this is the one on the Problems
tab labelled 'Event/Fact before birth or after death date'.

--
Regards, Mike Fry
Johannesburg