Hi Lavern,
Your problem may be that you are not giving it enough time to sync. I
hope you have your XP computer well protected since you are using it online.
However, I'm not clear about your process.
Bob thinks you have your working file only in the Dropbox and that may
be so.
But you said: "I make entries on my laptop (win 8.1) by selecting
the icon on my desktop, entering Legacy, then making
updates. Then I save the file to Dropbox."
Since Legacy saves changes automatically, saving the file is not usually
a step unless you are saving it in some new place.

Where is your family file on your Win 8.1 computer? Is it in a Dropbox
folder or not?I read you as saying you saved a copy to the Dropbox - or
maybe the backup file.

If it's the backup file in Dropbox, on the other computer you have to
restore the backup.
If it's the actual file you either have to make sure you are opening the
copy that is in the Dropbox OR copy it to your Legacy Data folder on the
other computer.

Either way you have to make sure you are opening the copy of your file
that you want on the XP computer and not just one of the same name saved
in a different folder.

Cathy