Jane
I think the best practice (but that's just my 2 cents) would be to
include the country. My ancestors came late to this country any time
from 1855 to 1920 time-frame. When you think of many places
(especially in the USA) you know that the town or city could be in
more than one State (and the same thing happens for places in
different countries). Why not be specific - spell out the places as
they appeared during the event AND then your short form location can
be anything you want. And while some use United States, I use USA.

Finally, when you input your data realize that you can always sort
your master location however you choose (it is a tab right there in
the master location list). Sometimes when I need to find things - I
play around you can do a couple of different ways or do a custom sort.
Play with it (you can't break it) is what I tell users in our Legacy
Virtual Users' Group Google+ community.

Tessa

Tessa Keough
Guild of One-Name Studies, Keough (Keogh, Kough & Kehoe) Registered ONS
Legacy Virtual Users' Group Community on Google+
Society for One-Place Studies - Plate Cove East, Newfoundland