From: John B. Lisle [mailto:leg...@johnlisle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:49 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Issue with Gedcom Export of Child Status

Hi,

A user recently reported to me that Child Status attributes, such as Stillborn,
Twin, Adopted, etc., were not being imported into his TNG web site from a
Legacy Gedcom file.

Analysis shows that Legacy is exporting the Child Status in Gedcom, and can
import those Legacy Gedcoms properly back into in Legacy. But the TNG web
publishing application that many Legacy users use does not import the tag that
Legacy uses to report Child Status. (Legacy currently exports it as an
attribute of the child in the family structure.)

--> IE, none of your Child Status attributes have EVER been imported

into TNG. Maybe this OK with you? Maybe you have never noticed?

Further analysis shows that Legacy's approach to Child Status seems

to be unique among the major genealogy products and, although the

best (as far as I am concerned) actually, may not be optimal. In

reality, there is no consistency in how various products implement

Child Status attributes, if they handle them at all.

Consequently, the TNG developer has less incentive to provide the fix

for this mis-match with Legacy.

As this has been a problem for 10+ years with, supposedly, only

myself and one other user expressing concern over this to Legacy, I

would like to know if other users have seen this and would like to

see this resolved. Getting something resolved - and quickly - will

require having many folks second that this is an issue for them.

--> Let me emphasize that this is not a Legacy bug. Legacy itself

works fine. This is a mis-match in the interface between two products.

Also, do you know of any other programs where the current Child

Status implementation is causing a problem from Legacy Gedcoms?

Thanks for listening,

john.

nashua, new hampshire

Legacy User Group guidelines: