I'd like feedback on how people handle alternative spellings of a surname.
My ancestor, Jacob's will spells his surname BACHTEL.  In the censuses, he
spells it: BECHTOL (1830); BACHTEL (1840); BECHTEL (1850); and BECHTAL
(1860).  His grave marker spells it BECHTELL which is the way his father
spelled it in the few documents which survive for him.  Is there a best
practice for how to handle these situations?  The most used spelling, for
example, or the spelling where it was likely verified (signed) by the party
(e.g., the will)?  In the censuses, I would imagine, the party told the
census taker his name and (possibly) spelled it for him, or not, or even if
he did, the census taker wrote it the way he wanted to.  Any thoughts are
appreciated.

Barton