See:
http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00275/0/Ahnentafel-Numbering-System.html

You can include whatever you want. The example I copied and posted included
marriage dates. Since I deal with mediaeval and ancient lineages, it is the
most useful, having birth-death, if those are known. Yes, the numbers become
immense, but it is the most concise and efficient way to list hundreds /
thousands of ancestors.

A variant uses the same system, either in a chart such as your pedigree chart,
or in a report:

Generation 1
1. person

Generation 2
2. father
3. mother

Generation 3
4. father's father
5. father's mother
6. mother's father
7. mother's mother

etc.

It is easy, if one can multiply and divide, to immediately find ancestors and
descendants.

It may be possible to do in Legacy 8 by limiting the report options. I can't
use it yet because the bugs keep messing up the reports I need to produce all
the time. (I keep trying every update).

CE