Thanks for your suggestions, Mike and Jack.

Yes, lack of permission from the Commanding Officer at the time of the first marriage is by far the most likely explanation, but there are other possibilities; for example, it is just possible that James was married to someone else, so the first marriage was bigamous, but that his first wife died between 1868 and 1870, thus enabling a valid marriage between James and Ellen in early 1871. I am looking into this.

Thanks again.

John Francis