On 10 Jan 2017 at 19:53, Chris Hill wrote:

> The best free editor, which I have used for many years to replace TextPad, is
> Notepad++. Not quite to Windows standards since it originated in the Linux
> market and it has some oddities because of that. It has support for more than
> 50 programming or scripting language, including HTML, and you can add your
> own. It also has a large set of add-in extensions.

To which one could add that it also supports formats like UTF 8, and will
convert between that and a variety of others.

It can be downloaded from

http://www.notepad-plus-plus.org

(Not sure when this will get sent - our ADSL line is down and we are waiting
for it to be repaired).

--
Keep well,
Steve Hayes