Hi Eva

One immediate thought is whether you running a UK or USA language settings in
Windows – I guess from one of your earlier messages that you may be German
based. In theory, that should not cause any issues but I have had problems like
that in the past.

I am UK based and therefore running on the ‘default’ Windows settings. From my
tree, I have exported, as GEDCOM 5.5.1 using ANSI and UTF8 and have got the
following address line (extracted from the GEDCOM file using Notepad++)

2 PLAC Norrköping, , Östergötlands län, Sweden

When I export it as ANSEL I get

2 PLAC Norrkèoping, , èOstergèotlands lèan, Sweden

which is what I would have expected.

Looking at the files in Notepad++, it is reporting the ANSI and ANSEL versions
as being ANSI coded and the UTF as being UTF-8-BOM, so I presume that the
system or Legacy has placed the Unicode header at the start of the file. I
would need to do some testing and programming to prove that.

Your example suggests that Rüdiger consists of upper case R, upper case A with
tilde and then a One Quarter – in Unicode hex these are U-0052, U-00C3 and
U-00BC according to Character Map on Arial. I guess that the ¼ should be ë
(U-00EB), not sure about the case of the Ã. What I am not sure about is whether
the German? based system uses different codings, which used be a problem 20-30
years ago, but should not now.

I think my first question would be to view the text file, using Notepad or
Notepad++, to ensure that the format is correct. If that says it is wrong, then
there is a question about Legacy. If the text file is good, then the problem is
between Filezilla and the TNG site. Again, I have seen issues with FTP systems
getting data conversions wrong, especially if there are multiple versions of
UTF and different implementations.

Regards

Chris