Good Evening,
At the risk of upsetting folks who believe in the E Showen Mills Theory[sorry if her name is wrong] I put all of my citations right at the bottom of the data in any event or note. That way the citation stays with the data, no matter where it goes - into a gedcom or a pdf to send off to a fellow researcher.

This also eliminates having to think about format. If I cut and paste the Source Citation right from the webpage, or type the title of a book [adding the page # of course] or an email with a date and addy, it is done and I can move on to doing real research and not fret about what it looks like. And, anyone looking at my work can see at a glance where the data came from.

For Instance: the 1850 Census for this family
Crosley, Thomas C Age 42, B: Ohio, Physician
Crosley, E M Age 42, B: Virginia [Cannot read or write]
Crosley, Susan Age 22, B: Indiana
Crosley, James Age 19, B: Indiana, Farmer
Crosley, M T Age 17, B: Indiana
Crosley, John Age 14, B: Indiana
Crosley, N Age 12, B: Indiana
Crosley, Bennet Age 10, B: Indiana
Crosley, A M Age 7, B: Indiana
Crosley, D Age 4, B: Indiana
Crosley, S Age 2, B: Indiana

Image Source: Year: 1850; Census Place: District 56, Mercer, Missouri; Roll: M432_406; Page: 374; Image: 233

Now, Census records are all over the place, so lately I am not including a website url Heck, you can even download a whole roll of digitized census film from the Archive.org site.

Martha
Los Osos, CA