Hi JoAnne,


So sorry about your parents. So difficult regardless of your age and their 


In my opinion, I like the FTDNA Y-DNA test. There is a sale on now until the 
end of August. The Y follows the male line. There is also a FamilyFinder test 
that is sort of like the one on Ancestry, that will pickup cousins on both 


On the Y, you can begin with a lower number, of markers and then increase (at 
another sale!) to 67. I would do at least that many. Leonard






Leonard J. McCown, Irving, Texas -- McCown Family History

217 West 14th Street, Irving, Texas 75060-5903


 <mailto:leon...@mccown.org> leon...@mccown.org --  <http://www.mccown.org> 

People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to

their ancestors. -- Edmund Burke, 1790




From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On 
Behalf Of JoAnne Flynn
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 8:17 AM
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: [LegacyUG] Question about DNA Tests


I had my DNA test done with Ancestry about a year ago.

In the meantime, my father and mother passed away.

The oldest member left in my fathers "McElroy" line is daddy's brother - my 
Uncle.  He is 83 years old.

I am thinking I should get him to do a DNA test.  My question is:  WHICH type 
of DNA test should he get?

I am not that knowledgeable on the different types of DNA testing - but I do 
recall that one test is more beneficial for tracking the male line of a family.

What test do you recommend??



Josie Flynn, RN, BSN, OCN




LegacyUserGroup mailing list
To manage your subscription and unsubscribe 
Archives at:

Reply via email to