Thank you, thank you. So many things I’ve just never thought about. Now I
need to add to my to do’s.

Jane in Phoenix

From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of CE WOOD
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:42 PM
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How best to record less common name formats into my
Legacy program

Fitz Alan meant he was the son of Alan. It had nothing whatsoever to do with
legitimacy!

Later, Fitz Allen became used as a surname and was used for daughters as
well as sons.

"de Ferrers" was never a surname. It meant the person was "from Ferrières".

Medieval genealogists do not use the "de" in assigning a surname, nor do
they use "mac", "von", "van", "di", etc., because those words also means
"from". In a database such as Legacy, it is so very much simpler, as well as
correct, to use the place name "Ferrières" (which was Anglicized into
"Ferrers", "Hohenstaufen", "Egmond", etc.

Imagine searching through all the "de xxxx" to find the one.

Also, if you are venturing into medieval times, Legacy is the perfect
program because it allows for many AKAs. That is essential, because people
usually referred to in documents by one or more of the titles they held, not
by their place of origin. It is incredibly helpful to have all the AKAs
listed because then, when you find someone mentioned, you can search by that
alternate name. It also allows you to have a listing of the succesive earls,
duke, etc., of a place right there in your index!

The surnames below, found in documents, are underlined:

Take William d'Aubigny. He was also known in documents as William d"Albini,
and William, 1st Earl of Arundel, among others.

John fitz Alan of Arundel was known as John 4th Earl of Arundel, John
FitzAlan, John fitz Alan, 2nd Earl of Clun, John FitzAlan, 2nd Earl of Clun.

As the Middle Ages progressed, the titles came fast a furious. Depending
when in a person lifetime the documents were written, the same person would
be mentioned by a different title.

If you  are venturing into the medieval, BEWARE! Use primary sources or
reliable secondary sources ONLY.

Primary sources include the Calendar of Close Rolls, Calendar of Fine Rolls,
Calendar of Inquistions Post Mortem (IPMs), Calendar of Inquistions
Miscellaneous, Calendar of Papal Registers, e. alia.

Also be aware that even the reliable secondary sources such as Complete
Peerage, Domesday, Descendants, Domesday People, Europäische Stammtafeln,
and Settipani's tomes, have been corrected as new documents are being
discovered all the time.

CE

  _____