The tradition of naming sons of kings "FitzRoy was a combination of the Welsh
and French Norman - "fitz" = "son of in Welsh; "roi" = "king" in French. It was
used by kings and the surname was "FitzRoy" = "son of the king". It was the way
the king acknowledged that the son was his. Earlier, a child was acknowledged
by the king only if he physically took the newborn when he was presented to
him. Without that acknowledgement, the child had no claim to inheritance.
Having a son, illegitimate or not, was essential in medieval times when most
infants and children died, to say nothing of the ones who did survive only to
die in battle.

Henry I of England, son of William the Conqueror. was a prolific father, with
many Welsh mistresses.Among them were:

Robert FitzRoy, Baron of Okehampton (~1098 to 5/31/1172) by his mistress Edith
ferch (Welsh for "daughter of") Forne.

Reginald/Reynold FitzRoy de Dustanville, 1st Earl of Cornwall (~1110 -
7/1/1175) by an unknown mistress.

Richard FitzRoy, Lord of Chilham, (~1186-~6/24/1246) was son of John I of
England by nis mistress Suzanne de Warrenne.

The tradition continued, one of the most famous being Henry FitzRoy, Duke of
Richmond, (1519-1536), Henry VIII's only acknowledged and healthy son by
Elizabeth Blount.

Wikipedia is helpful when correct, but it is very flawed and certainly never a
trustworthy source.

CE