Dennis
For media, make sure you have no broken links
Use Advanced Tagging and tag the descendants. I think you'll want Descendants only rather than Entire Descendant Line but you could try both. Note both options can be limited by the number of generations. If you really want all relatives you have of this particular relative, instead, Set Relationships to them and then Search for Individual - Relationship -Equal to - Related and tag them. Export to a Legacy file (File - Export - Legacy) and choose to export those tagged and check all the associated checkboxes.
Check the Privacy settings and set to your preference.

When you have the new file, do a Data and Media Backup. The Media backup will be only the Media associated with the people you've included. If they don't have Legacy, then also export this file to Gedcom - again check all the settings including Privacy.

Cathy

Dennis Birke wrote:

My Legacy database includes data for both my family (paternal and
maternal lines) and my wife’s family. I would like to send a relative
a subset of this data. Specifically, I’d like to send the data and
media files (and probably a GEDCOM file too) for the people (and their
spouses) who are the descendants of my paternal Great, Great, Great
Grandfather. I’m guessing there will be 1,000 to 1,100 people in this
collection, and so I’d like to use an automated way for selected the
people.

What is the best way to select the appropriate people and to export
the pertinent data and media files?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.