Thanks Cathy and Jay,

I managed, for some unknown reason, to open the database and saved a copy
which I renamed.

I deleted all the lbb files in case that was a lock problem.

I rebooted the system and Legacy opened fine.

I ran the check and repair which fixed an error in a marriage. I saved the
file and have managed to run the check and repair three consecutive times
with no errors.

I have also cleaned up the debris  via List Maintenance.

I have tested by adding, changing and deleting records - the data appears
fine and the Legacy progam is behaving itself.

I am confident I am back on the rails!!

Thanks once again for you help.