I had a similar problem when converting from Familytreemaker to Legacy.
The real problem here is the */Gedcom standard/* which is way out of date and can't handle image information. There was a recent attempt to modify the standard but nothing seems to have come of it. What I had to do was to centralize all my images and then, one by one, connect them to people in my Legacy file. One helpful tool in Legacy is the 'Picture Center' which allows the user to go through the collected images and the file individuals and connect the two.
Jerry Case