Best to not save!

Jay Ingalls

On 1/15/2018 8:18 AM, Mary Leek wrote:
Valerie,

If you happen to open this file in a word processor such as Word or Word
Perfect to have a look, be certain when you close it, it is saved as plain
text (ASCII format).

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Wendy Howard
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:16 PM
To: legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Is this a proper gedcom file

GEDCOM files are plain text, so you can open them in any word processor or
notepad program, such as Microsoft Word, OpenOffice Writer, or Windows
Notepad.

The first few lines will look something like this one, which I created from
Legacy:

0 HEAD
1 SOUR Legacy
2 VERS 9.0
2 NAME Legacy (R)
2 CORP Millennia Corp.
3 ADDR PO Box 9410
4 CONT Surprise, AZ 85374
1 DEST Legacy
1 DATE 20 Jun 2017

You'll be able to see people's names and other text displayed in various
lines, along with other lines that will seem to be gobbledegook but contain
information that relates to the people named.

1 NAME William /Hargreaves/
2 GIVN William
2 SURN Hargreaves
2 SOUR @S3@

So if you can open this .ged file you've been sent in an appropriate program
and see similar lines, you have a GEDCOM file, which you should be able to
IMPORT into Legacy.

It's good practice to import files like this into a new Legacy file before
merging the data with your existing file.  You may want to look at things
like Locations, and tidy them up to the way you record them before taking
the data further.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Wendy
(in a sunny/cloudy/windy Kaiwaka, New Zealand, thankfully a cooler summer's
day to some we've had recently, not yet over 30C at midday Monday).