Wam,
I answered you with a long answer on list on 23 Jan.

I'll send it to you direct.

bottom line:
You cannot have the same data file open on two computers at the same time without creating a mess.
The media is another matter entirely.

alternatives in the previous email.

Cathy

wam eskes wrote:

*Run Legacy over Google Drive*

On Station ‘A’ Legacy is running under Windows 7. The application
“legacy-eskes”, contains family files:

* Data D:\Google Drive\legacy-eskes\Data\
* media files: Data D:\Google Drive\legacy-eskes\media\

On Station ‘B’, using Google Chrome, I see the folder E:\Google Drive\
that contains the “family-eskes” folder containing the Data and media
files.

I assume that:

* Data file defines the structure of the family data: names of
persons, their ancestors and descendants and the links to the
media files such as .jpg, .pdf, .mp4 etc.
* The media folder hold the actual media files: .jpg, .pdf, .mp4, etc.

So far I implemented our Family Tree Genealogy application on Legacy
on my laptop (called station ‘A’) and I now want to get my sister to
use Legacy on her laptop (called station ‘B’).

For convenience both stations ‘A’ and ‘B’ are physically in the same
location whist we address the problem I am about to describe you.

First I describe our system.

On station ‘A’ the host folder with ‘share’ attribute; is D:\Google
Drive\legacy-eskes\ which means that subordinate folders are also
shared. I am so far only interested in the family files and media files:

D:\Google Drive\legacy-eskes\Data\

D:\Google Drive\legacy-eskes\media\

On station ‘B’ the folder to receive the cloud-based information is:
E:\Google Drive\legacy-eskes\ and _when I look at Google Drive and
open legacy-eskes I find the Data and media files_just where they
should be and I can verify that their content are what I expect and I
should be able to link to:

E:\Google Drive\legacy-eskes\Data\

E:\Google Drive\legacy-eskes\media\

Also:

When I run Legacy on station ‘B’ and use Options > Customize Legacy >
section 6 _the proper Data and media files can be found_.

Questions & Issues.

* I can without any problem download a DOC or spreadsheet file and
make changes to it both from Station ‘A’ and ‘B’ but is editing a
file a different thing than running 2 programs, one at Station ‘A’
and the other at Station ‘B’? The big difference is that when we
use Legacy many changes are made to the family file and, although
changes to the media files should be few and not so fast, will It
still be necessary for “Backup and Sync” to process s all of the
media files all the time?
o Can running multiple applications of Legacy possible?
o Does anyone know if it can be done
o Is anyone doing it using any other cloud service (Dropbox?)
* Stations ‘A’ and “B’” work individually fine but they do not
exchange information: they do not sync
* Just now 76 GB is used from the 100 GB – why so much. What is
involved in Bin space?
* Are too many files involved?
* Has “Backup and Sync” been installed correctly?

Ideas? Thanks

Wam