When a document is converted to PDF, the PDF conversion removes all formatting
and substitutes there own PDF formatting to give the appearance of the original
document.
All tables of contents, page numbers, paragraph numbers, indexes, captions,
etc. are converted to the PDF ‘fixed’ format.
These dynamic structures MUST be recreated(cleaned up) in any document which is
copied from A PDF file.

Pete