I did a similar thing with location names. I basically did it the way Brian suggested. Bear in mind there may be people born in Colonial America (before 1783) but married or died when the country name was different. I have individuals among my European ancestors whom have two or even three different country names for events, even though they never left the town in which they lived. Other levels of government (e.g. county or state) can also have different names.

I think it is worth the trouble because it adds some social history or historical context to your ancestors' lives and is in line with best genealogy practice. You also learn a lot about the social history of your ancestors while researching the changing jurisdictions and occasionally find great sources in the process.

John

-----Original Message----- From: Glenda Hall
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 7:09 AM
To: Legacy User Group
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Changing location name based on event year?

I agree with Brian Kelly. No quick fix. I periodically clean up locations based on time of event.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 6, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Brian Kelly <exma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Although you can use the Master Location List to edit a location and the change will update all uses I do not think that will work for you because the same place that has existed since colonial days needs two entries, one for the colonial place and one for the post-revolution place name if it is used for an event after 1783. In fact if there have been county name changes over time you may need more than just two to adhere to the standard of naming a place as it existed at the time of an event.

You can probably develop a work list using a search for all people with an event date before 1783 then tagging those people to work on. As you work through the tagged people, updating the place names to your colonial standards, you can remove the tag.

Brian Kelly