Marie,

I would disagree with that first statement.  In my years of doing research, I have heard stories where the workers at Ellis Island entered names into the ledgers incorrectly.  If they were unable to discern the name from the ships manifest, they would of write down the names as THEY understood the passengers.  I have examples in my own family where a Braun from Prussia was listed as Brown because the person at intake determined that the immigrant should "Americanize" their name.

As for the second part of your statement...I agree.  I do believe that the AKA field i the best place to notate that.

Ciao,
Christopher