Ian Macaulay,

The Legacy database itself - the .fdb file has a size limit of 2 GB so you don't have a 7 GB .fdb file. You may well have 7 GB of Legacy related files if you are including your Media files.

Re the survey question.

To change computer I restore the latest data backup which has been saved to Dropbox. I keep my Legacy Media in Dropbox. Because my media paths use the [Default Media Folder] code, I just have to set Options > Customise 6.2 to have media relinked. I don't change computer often. If I changed computer often, I'd keep my working database and media on an external drive, making sure I had backups elsewhere and simply move the drive from one computer to another. Some people find it useful to use the Legacy Cloud backup to change computer and restore from this backup. This is just the data file.

Cathy

Ian Macaulay <mailto:macau...@icmac.ca>
Friday, 13 March 2020 3:03 AM
I never do that.  I take a backup daily of my files and they go on a NAS drive. I keep a dummy copy for show and tells, but never connect them to the main files, So no on the fly updates.

I also do not understand how 700K names can result in 1 GB.  I have less than 100K folks and run at well over 7GB of data.
Something is skewey

Ian

--
ICMac Sales:     Hobby consultant (1986r.)
Office hours:   10:00 Am - 5:00 PM  most days

Loren L. Johns via LegacyUserGroup <mailto:legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Friday, 13 March 2020 2:16 AM
I have spent thousands of hours (not sure I would want to know exactly how many!) working on my database. I now have over 713,000 individuals in my database, which is over 1GB in size. Frankly, I don't want to lose all that time and work! So I use a cloud backup service (BackBlaze) as a backup. Also, every time I make a change in my database, I compact the file and then back it up to a flash drive and also an external hard drive, using Allway Sync. It is very easy to use. I just tell it to compare the relevant folders on my SSD drive and my other drive and copy the files with the most recent dates to the other drive. Just to be safe, I also do the same with my Google Drive File Stream, so that my most recent Legacy database is always in the cloud in two different forms, on my local SSD "hard" drive, and also on two separate external drives, one hard drive and one flash drive.

I have a second laptop that I occasionally use. Whenever I want to transfer my database to the other laptop, I use Allway Sync to do it. It usually takes a minute or two to do the transfer. I already have the most recent form of the database on one of my backup drives, so I just attach one of those to the secondary computer, run Allway Sync, and then I am up and ready to go.

Peace, Loren Johns
Guatemala City, Guatemala
"I will accept no bull from your house" (Ps. 50:9, RSV).

I'm taking a little survey if you'll participate.

What app do you use to 'sync' Legacy between your MAIN computer and a SECONDARY computer?

What do you feel is the advantage of your choice vs another app?

Gary

Gary Crull <mailto:treeclimber1...@gmail.com>
Friday, 13 March 2020 1:56 AM