Not sure that there is any formal statement on use of mixed case surnames so here is my take on the change.

All Uppercase surnames are a holdover from the days BC (before computer) where genealogical records and reports were either hand written or typewritten. All Uppercase surnames were used to highlight and give emphasis to surnames making them more visible.

Nowadays it is so easy to have the computer change the display and/or output of surnames in all uppercase when needed that now it is just easier to use Initial Caps or mixed case in surnames and let the computer do the work of translation to uppercase when needed.

It is much more difficult to translate an all uppercase surname to mixed case because of surnames which have an internal uppercase letter like McKenzie, MacDougal VanGough etc. The computer cannot correctly change the case from uppercase to mixed case in those cases.

Brian Kelly