Gloria, et al:

I used Carbonite for many years. Their customer service and support is great
and easy to reach. They were a great help when I needed to migrate my data to a
new computer.  One of the things that attracted me to Carbonite was the
continual backup as I worked on documents. Over time, it seemed their practice
changed and my modified computer files were not getting backed up immediately.
I contacted Support to ask about this and was told that backups were done once
every 24 hours. Since I don't leave my computer on overnight, I was manually
telling Carbonite to back up files I modified before shutting down the computer.

Additionally, Carbonite does not automatically back up video files (MP4). You
must individually select each one and add it to your backup. Carbonite also
discontinued their feature of allowing mobile devices (phones and tablets) to
be backed up as part of a subscription. Finally, Carbonite requires a separate
subscription for each computer you want to back up.

For these reasons, I switched to iDrive https://www.idrive.com/ two years ago.
They offer 5 terabytes of backup storage for $69.95/year and unlimited devices,
including mobile devices. They currently have a special offer of just $6.95 for
your first year of service. Their service offers continual or scheduled backup,
as well as many of the same things Carbonite offers. I have a desktop computer,
two laptops, my tablet, and cell phone being backed up and have only used 5% of
my allocated 5 terabytes.  FYI, I have no affiliation with iDrive other than
being a satisfied customer.

I also use Dropbox, but mostly as short-term storage for items I need to access
from anywhere or while in-transit awaiting transfer to one of my other
computers. You can get an additional 500 MB of free storage at Dropbox for each
person you refer and signs up for their own free account. As a result, I now
have 8 GB of free storage at Dropbox.

Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive (Microsoft) and others of this ilk are not true
backup services. They are just cloud storage similar to an external hard drive,
but on another company's servers. You must proactively choose to move files to
any of those services to keep them backed up. They are similar to what you do
if you use an external drive; the difference being your data is stored on
another company's servers away from your home. The advantages being that you
can access your data from any computer anywhere (which, by the way you can also
do with Carbonite, iDrive, Backblaze, etc.) and, if your house burns down, your
data is still protected. For this reason, some people use these cloud storage
services for their genealogy software program database (Legacy, RootsMagic,
Family Tree Maker, etc.), assuming the software supports such a configuration.

It is good to have both a traditional cloud backup service like Carbonite,
iDrive, Backblaze, etc. in addition to cloud storage. In fact, IT people
advocate a 3-2-1 backup plan:

* 3 copies of your backups, one copy on your primary computer
* 2 backup copies on 2 different media (external hard drive, flash drive, cloud
storage, CD, DVD)
* 1 backup copy offsite (cloud storage, safe deposit box, someone else's home)
* LOCKSS - "Lots of copies keeps stuff safe"

They each have their place and purpose in our genealogy work.

Robin McCarthy