On 04/07/2021 16:32, Cynthia N. Russell wrote:
Hoping someone can give me baby steps to create a list . . . to sort, to select, to print

I have just over 19,000 individuals in my database. When I set up an individual who was in the military, I would go to Title Pre. and list the rank of the person.  Examples: Pvt, Major, General

Also, I would list in the Events/Facts: Military in the heading and enter other facts such as dates, locations, etc.

I am not sure if this is how I should create my list . . . please assist with baby step instructions:

I should use the Events/Facts and only the word military to create the list, but I don't know how to do that.

And, am I able to do a second list with the Title Pre. to sort and look to get a list of Pvt., Maj, Gen. I know I would have to do a separate list for each rank. Yes, I have a direct line General for the War of 1812.

Please assist me, thanking you in advance for your generosity.

First of all, create a Search list of everyone with an Event/Fact "Military" When the Search list opens, select Options>Print. On the Row 1 tab, select Surname, Given Names in the Grid Fields list, Select to Customise Optional Fields and change any of the ones you don't want to Name Title Prefix and then make sure the box to select that field is ticked. Under Report Destination select CSV file and create it. Make sure you know where you saved it and the name of the file. Now open that file in your spreadsheet program and sort the list by the Prefix Column.

Cynthia, if you need more details on how to accomplish these tasks, let me know.

There is one thing I don't like about this and I think perhaps it is an error in the program. When I view my list, the people are listed with Name, Surname AND PREFIX in the first column, then Prefix is repeated in the second column. Prefix should not be tacked onto the name when only Name & Surname were requested. One fix for this is to untick the name in the Default Fields list and add separate fields for Surname and Forename in the Optional list.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK