The .webp file extension is a file format developed by Google to reduce the
size of images without having to sacrifice quality for storage space.
The .webp images are designed to make the web faster, with smaller, richer
photos for developers to use.

It is increasingly likely that we will come across images / pictures in both
Apple and Google formats.

I get a lot of those, and I use a free utility* to convert them to something
other - .jpg or .png - which it does extremely quickly, placing the new files
in the same folders (even if they come from a variety of folders).
There is probably a free converter for HEIC / HEIF format image files.

Irfanview keeps up-to-date with an ability to open and view, and to quickly
convert most image files to something more common - such as .jpg or .png

* XnConvert Version 1.83 - windows (Jan 16 2020) - Libformat version 7.37
   Email: cont...@xnview.com<mailto:cont...@xnview.com>    URL:
http://www.xnconvert.com

I.L. Thomas
Western Australia