Here's how I use the basic 9 tags:
1 - Direct Line
2 - Have copy of original birth record
3 - Have copy of original marriage
4 - Know the name cemetery where buried
5 - Have picture of tombstone
6 - Have copy of the obit
7 - Have copy of original death record
8 - open for current special research project (right now a list of 80+
people buried in one cemetery needing picture of tombstone - I now have the
section and plot numbers of each and entered into Legacy, photographing
field trip coming up in 2 weeks!)
9 - need a FindAGrave if in US

At a glance, I can tell what I have and what I'm missing without doing a
separate hashtag search.
Once I get my current #8 done, I will pick another "big" project and mark
them as tag 8.
I love going into my name list and seeing all those check marks for
everyone.

Only 8 and 9 are "NEEDS" and they change according to what I'm doing.  I
use hash tags for other types of To-Do lists such as: To-Do - WWI Draft Reg
Card or  To-Do - 1950 US Census.  Tags and hash tags put order to my
research.

Linda